Friday, February 8, 2019

Friday, February 8th

Felt good about today. I intended to get an early start by reviewing the agenda for our group meeting, then try to clean up my departmental blog. The plan went down the drain, as I was a little slow and sluggish from the start.
After the group meeting, where Bart pointed out that the toolbars were showing up on some of my linked documents in my departmental blog, I was able to determine that it was because the documents were created in google docs. I saved them as word documents, transferred them to my google drive, then uploaded them to the blog, and this solved the problem.
While reviewing my blog, I felt that it needed more, that it was just lacking something. I uploaded two videos from local media outlets to the blog, as they would be incidents that the department would want the public to know about. I was proud that I was able to figure out how to get the videos into the blog without any outside assistance.

How did the day's activities relate to your real-world work situation?
Getting a slow start is unusual for me. On a typical work day, I arrive to work at least 20 minutes prior to my shift, so that I can brief with the prior shift Lieutenant, then share any prior information with my platoon before they take the road.

What could you have done differently that might have impacted your performance?
I would like to have gotten moving earlier. I'm glad that Bart pointed out the issues with my blog, but I would have felt better about it if I had fixed the issues prior to the meeting

How will your real-world behavior change as a result of what you learned today?
Today was just one more example of how we can often find the assistance we need by using resources that are instantly available. The help I needed to upload the videos was available on the web, but even more through trial and error. I need to be reminded that most of the time, it's okay to try different options until you get the desired result.


No comments:

Post a Comment