I'm off to a flying start on my week 9 assignment. I had a couple of slow days at work during our two weeks off, and was able to get a head start on this project. I might be speaking too soon, but I think this week is going to be fairly easy. For my objectives, I selected issues that I'm already very familiar with. One of them I used for my grant proposal, so I've already researched and gathered all the information on that subject. The other is a project that my administrators have looked into, and plan on having me take a lead role on.
What did I learn today?
When I did my grant proposal presentation, one of the guest reviewers suggested that if I was requesting grant funding to address drug abuse, I should consider adding an element of education. I took that suggestion seriously, and looked into local programs. I found that the Guidance Center in my area sponsors a coalition to prevent abuse of alcohol and drugs by minors.
What could I have done differently today that might have impacted my performance for the better?
I think the only thing I could have done differently that might have made for a more productive day would have been to start earlier. With our team meetings at 10 a.m., it makes it a little difficult to start early. There are usually things that I need to research from the police station, and it doesn't make sense to go there first, then come home for the team meeting, then go back. So typically I don't get started on my work until at least 11:00.
How will my real world behavior change as a result of what I learned today?
Whether my department administration adopts my strategic plan or not, I intend to suggest, as I do in one of my departmental goals, that we have our school resource officer work with the local coalition to learn more about educating youths on drug and alcohol abuse.
No comments:
Post a Comment