Today was frustrating. It started out well, with a productive group meeting. I led the meeting, and felt good about the way it went. All members contributed, and we discussed things that were causing difficulty, and suggested possible solutions.
Shortly after the conclusion of the meeting, I went to TPD to continue to work on my agency blog. Although it took me a while, I was able to complete the graphs for departmental stats. Between the guidance from Bart during our morning meeting, and from a fellow Lt. at Trenton PD, I felt pretty confident that I could come home and complete my agency blog. That was not the case. I tried several different things to put together the blog the way I wanted, but I obviously did not absorb as much as I thought I did. I will try again tomorrow.
What could I have done differently today that might have impacted my performance for the better?
As I mentioned above, I felt good about the way the morning meeting went. When I moved on to working on the graphs, I spent about 90 minutes on one of them, unable to work in all the data I wanted into one graph. I finally abandoned that idea, assuming that I had one too many data sets for a graph, and created an additional graph for the additional information. I wasted a lot of time with little results, and could have increased my productivity by making the decision sooner to separate the information between two different graphs.
How will my "real world" behavior change as a result of what I learned / experienced this week? Even though I failed today with the agency blog, I felt good about the graphs I put together. Just after the last two days, I feel much more proficient with the Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, and Google Sheets applications. I can think of some practical uses for these applications, and see myself using them in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment