Long week. Initially, I was really looking forward to this week. I still think it was a productive week, but I feel like it could have been better. I felt good about our presentations, individual and group, for the most part. At the same time, I don't think we were very well-prepared for our presentations. I think time constraints kind of got in the way. During our break-out sessions, when we had time to work on group problems, we seemed to use all of our allotted time addressing the problem, then we had very little time to work on the presentation itself. Considering that, I think we did a pretty good job presenting on the fly. This will be addressed again in the standard questions, but I'm very disappointed in our group presentation on the hire and retention of millennial employees. By the time we concluded our discussion and completed our power point, we had very little time to arrange our presentation. Between discussing how we would present, and arranging the information in the power point, we lost sight of the actual specifics of the presentation. After further reflection, I take most of the responsibility. At the beginning of the discussion session, I volunteered to take the position of team leader. At the end of the session, we were out of time. As the rest of the group started back to the classroom, I told them I would save the presentation to my thumb drive. I neglected to discuss with the group how it would be saved. If I would have left the slide show in google drive and we played it from there, it would have been fine. Instead, I saved it as a power point to my thumb drive, not even thinking that the video we included needed to be embedded into the power point. So naturally, the video would not play during our presentation and it caused an uncomfortable pause due to technical problems. To my credit, I called to Jake to move to the next slide, but the damage had already been done. I blame it on lack of communication to some extent, but there's no way that any of my team members could have known that it wasn't going to work.
How did the week's activities relate to your real-world work situation?
This is an example of how things sometimes go contrary to plans, and you have to adapt to the current situation and make the best of it. Not uncommon in police work.
How will your real-world behavior change as a result of what you learned this week?
I will definitely remember this, and hopefully will not have a technical snafu like this again during the remainder of this course. I will also remember that when a specific time constraint is placed on an assignment, we, as a team, need to be more cognizant of the time allotted, and stay within our time limits. Today we got bogged down in discussions, and lost sight of our time constraints. Mike B. mentioned numerous times that we had to stay on track.
What could you have done differently that might have impacted your performance?
Looking back, I should have thought that the video would not play correctly in power point - that the presentation should have been played through google.
No comments:
Post a Comment