Monday, April 8, 2019

Monday, April 8, 2019

And we're back at it. I started the day pretty overwhelmed. Over the past couple of weeks, I thought I was on the right track, with a plan for a grant proposal. The idea was to obtain grant funds to hire a risk management company to revise our department's general orders. Unfortunately I was unable to find any data or statistics regarding the issue of outdated general orders, unless they pertained to use of force, and more specifically, deadly force. So I changed gears, and decided to use the suggested SMART Policing Initiative grant to request funds to be able to assign an officer to a drug task force. Not difficult to find data on the impact of narcotics. Once I made that decision, I was able to make a fair amount of progress today.

How did the day's activities relate to your real-world work situation?
What I did today did not relate much at all to a typical day on duty for me. However, when I started working on obtaining financial data to back up my grant proposal, it was easy to know who to go to for that information, due to my familiarity with administration's purchases of vehicles and equipment.

How will your real-world behavior change as a result of what you learned today?
Next time we have a break between a classroom week and a distance learning week, I will try to commit more time to the assignment for the following week.

What could you have done differently that might have impacted your performance?
I wish I had put more time into the grant assignment in the time between week 4 and 5. If I had searched for data sooner regarding my original plan, I would have moved on to plan B, and been better prepared for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment